I decided to look for a good and aesthetically pleasing rain water collection barrel to put in my garden. We live in the desert of south western USA so we need to save every drop of rain water. My idea was to have something that was nice to look at that I could use to water the plants in my garden easily and without having to deal with the pesky hose round the other side of my house.
If I could get free and easy access to water in the area that I need it then I could save myself a lot of time and effort over the summer.
After checking out several different rain water collection systems, I finally purchased the Algreen 81001 Cascata 65-Gallon Rain Water Collection and Storage System!
What is the Algreen 81001 Cascata Rain Water Storage System and how does it work?
Well it’s a very beautiful rain barrel which you can best use to collect rain water straight from the roof tops via the drain pipes. It fills up very quickly which gives you free, easy and readily available water whenever you need it. Using the overflow valve, you can easily run a hose pipe with holes set strategically around your garden in order to water your plants. Using the tap at the bottom you can simply fill your watering can in order to water the plants etc.
What To Look For When Buying A Rain Water Collection System?
While carrying out my research, I soon realized there were several things I needed to keep in mind while looking for a good quality rain barrel. These things were:
- Does it look good?
- Does it have a screen guard?
- Is it made from tough materials?
- Does it have a spigot?
I shall now explain each of the previous points in relation to the Algreen 81001 Cascata Rain Water Storage System.
Does It Look Good?
Remember that this is going in your garden, your pride and joy! I’ve never met anybody with a rain barrel who wasn’t proud of their garden so it’s obvious you’ll be wanting something that looks beautiful. Well the Cascata is made from roto molded plastic, is extremely light therefore and despite the plastic, it actually looks more like terra cota. You can place it quite easily over your drain pipe, one of your gardens less aesthetically pleasing features to capture the rain water. Other rain barrels I took a look at were nowhere near as nice as this, some being bright green and costing similar amounts to buy!
Does It Have A Screen Guard?
You’ll require a screen guard on your rain barrel to stop debris and insects from contaminating your water. This may surprise you but several rain barrels don’t come with screen guards and have to be purchased separately and then the fit is not always as it should be. Thankfully the Cascata Rain Water Collection System does come with a screen guard! You can use it to place the plant tray or “crown planter” on top to further improve the look of the barrel.
Is It Made From Tough Materials?
Nature is nature and so you’ll be wanting a barrel that’s going to last for many years. Not only that but everybody’s garden is different and everybody has different needs for their rain barrel. If you buy a clay based barrel then you may not be able to easily make any modifications which your garden dictates such as drilling in holes to fit connectors at the right height. If you’re barrel is too flimsy because it’s made from poor quality plastic then you’ll be sure to get leaks. Trust me, leakage is a big problem when it comes to rain barrels particularly around the spigot. The Cascata is made from really good quality “double walled” plastic and so far I’ve seen no problems from leakage and I don’t expect to see any either.
Does It Have A Spigot?
Spigot being another name for tap or faucet! And would you believe it but many rain barrels don’t even have a spigot near the base in order to fill a watering can or do anything else with. Without a spigot you’d have to tip the barrel upside down in order to empty it. This is fine if you’re a handyman and can drill your own but I myself would expect to find the rain barrel especially for the price I paid complete with a spigot so I can water my plants. Many rain barrels I inspected felt flimsy around this area and I have felt that after several turns the spigot would pull out and I’d be left with a flooded garden. Thankfully the Cascada is sturdy and it’s spigot is tight and I’m sure will last a long time. There is just enough room between the base and the spigot to prevent the barrel from falling over due to heavy wind.
How Much Should You Expect To Pay?
The Algreen 81001 Cascata 65-Gallon Rain Water Collection and Storage System is available from several online retailers for around $189. However you should not have to pay more than $169 for it! The cheapest place I found the Cascata available for was Amazon!
- The Cascata Rain Barrel
- Screen Guard and Crown Planter
- 6 feet of hose with shut off nozzle
- Hook for hanging hose
- Brass spigot
- Overflow valve
24 x 24 x 46 inches.
Weight = 20 pounds.
What Others Are Saying?
– I Love it!! Even though it is made of plastic resin, it really looks like terra cota!
– I had no idea this rain barrel was going to be so huge! I’m delighted!
– Easy to assemble, easy to use, am thinking about ordering another one for the front on my house!
– The Algreen 81001 Cascata 65 Gallon Rain Water Collection and Storage System looks lovely in my garden. The design is really nice and the terra cotta look blends in nicely!
– We bought this after seeing our neighbors and liking it. It was delivered fast and included all parts to assemble.This is a very nice barrel and it is much more attractive than most.
– I continue to get compliments on my yard sculpture. It looks like an old carved urn…PLUS it works!
– I wish I could afford more. I love it! I will water my flowers for free all summer.
– I have two other rain barrels I bought before, but this one is the best! Very good design, nice appearance, has everything you need: spigot, garden hose, overflow outlets, easy to install.
– One customer had their barrel arrive slightly damaged. I would request extra padding as a shipping option if this is a worry for you.
– A few people have mentioned the length of the hose! Being only 6 feet it’s not much use! I would use a different hose, perhaps purchase one separately if needed and attach before installation as it fits in at the bottom!
– One customer has mentioned the lack of pressure if using the hose to water plants with over a long distance! This is to be expected unless you use a sprinkler pump to increase the pressure to your hose!
Where Can You Buy The Algreen 81001 Cascata 65 Gallon Rain Water Collection and Storage System?
The best place to get the is Amazon! From comparing it to several other online retailers they really are the best value! This is especially true if you take advantage of the free shipping option!